Problem Solving Your Self Care Routine
In all of my time as a coach and through many conversations, there are a few main questions and challenges that seem to come up again and again when it comes to beginning a solid self care routine. And, no surprise there, the challenges are generally not knowing what to do, not feeling like it's possible to find the space in life, and feeling guilty about it... So let's dig in and have a look at each of these!
What to do?
From a quick brainstorm, here are 30 Self Care Activities to choose from! This is by no means exhaustive, but is a wonderful starting point. Read through and pick a handful that sound the juiciest to you and get them scheduled in!
Feel free to add any activities that you know you love. Remember, self care is anything that feels nourishing and yummy to you! It doesn't have to look like self care to anyone else.
1. Give yourself a neck or foot massage.
2. Buy yourself a bunch of fresh flowers.
3. Call a friend and catch up.
4. Make yourself a cup of tea and spend 5 mindful, quiet minutes enjoying it in peace (no technology allowed!)
5. Watch a funny movie or television show that you love and get laughing!
6. Cook yourself a beautiful, healthy meal or snack.
7. Go for a hike or walk in nature.
8. Take 5 minutes to meditate or do some deep breathing.
9. Take a bubble bath.
10. Declutter a room or space that's been on your to-do list.
11. Give yourself an at-home facial or hair mask.
12. Put on a favourite song and dance like no one's watching.
13. Listen to your favourite podcast or audio book.
14. Get creative: Set aside some time to draw, paint, or work on photography.
15. Do a puzzle.
16. Take some technology free time to unwind.
17. Go to bed an hour early.
18. Read a chapter of your favourite book.
19. Indulge in your favourite sweet treat and take the time to enjoy each and every bite.
20. Book a photographer and get some shots taken of you! Whether it's natural shots, more glamorous, or even boudoir photography. Investing in yourself and taking some time to be in front of the camera can be empowering, confidence boosting and exhilarating.
21. Get out and get some fresh air: Gardening, walking, cycling, swimming, or any other outdoor activity you enjoy.
22. Go to a museum or art gallery and spend an afternoon getting lost.
23. Learn something new. Whether it's a language, a skill, or a musical instrument, learning new things is fun and keeps your brain sharp.
24. Use a calming essential oil in a diffuser, in a tea or on your skin to help you relax and unwind.
25. Ground yourself for 5 minutes. If you don't know what grounding is, read all about it here.
26. Think of 3 things you're grateful for each day (and record it in a journal for bonus points).
27. Drink enough water each day. Being hydrated will keep you feeling and functioning at your best.
28. Do some yoga or slow, relaxed stretching.
29. Give yourself a manicure & pedicure.
30. Journal: You can either let your thoughts free flow or use one of the following prompts to help you:
+ Write a thank you letter to yourself for investing in your happiness and self care.
+ What are you grateful for today?
+ If you loved yourself unconditionally, what would be possible for you?
+ If you could run away, where would you go and who would you bring with you?
+ What have you been putting off that's been causing you pain or stress?
+ Write about your family. Maybe a family tree, interesting family facts or stories.
+ Write out your bucket list.
+ What are 10 things you love about your life right now?
+ What are 10 things you love about yourself right now?
+ Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What about 10 years?
How To Tips to make Self Care a Reality.
Okay, so now you know what you want to do, but what do you do when you feel like you need a more solid support system in order to make self care a reality and priority in your life? Or maybe you just don't see where it could fit in...
This is going to be unique to everybody as we all have our own challenges. Perhaps for you it's a busy job where you work long hours and come home exhausted. Perhaps it's running around after kids, frequent travel, lack of finances, or an unsupportive partner. Whatever your deal, I've got some solutions for you!